Happy Valentines day!
We have Valentines party at my son’s day care and everybody bring some snack.
My son is still 18 month and I do not want make chocolate yet. So I decided to cook Castella (Japanese sponge cake.
Castella (kasutara) is Japanese sponge cake and it is simply made of mainly sugar, bread flour, eggs.
So I just reduced sugar when I cooked this time.
Here is my recipe.
- 190g (6.7 oz) bread flour
- 5 eggs
- 290g (10 oz) beet sugar (or your favorite sugar) -I added 230g (8 oz) of beet sugar for my son this time
- 5 Teaspoon milk
- 4 Teaspoon canola oil
- 3 Teaspoon honey (I used maple syrup since my son cannot have honey yet.)
- sift flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 C).
- Place parchment paper in the mold 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans or8 inch square pan
- Grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and half amount of sugar until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
- add rest of sugar and mix.
- add ingredients A and flour and whisking.
- Pour batter into pan. Tap gently on the counter to make flat all area and remove air bubbles.
- Bake on middle rack of oven 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, wrap with plastic and leave in room temperature until cool down.
- store airtight and keep it in refrigerator (or room temperature) about 1 day.