Last weekend, I cooked one of my favorite sweet – Mitarashi-dango (Japanese sweet dumpling) .
Dango is like Japanese style of dumpling made from mochiko (rice flour). Mitarashi dango is the dumpling covered with a sweet soy sauce syrup.
My recipe use Tofu instead of water to make dango. This is great snack for kids.
- 100g mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
- 130g silken tofu
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon brown rice syrup
- ½ Tablespoon corn starch
- Mix flour and tofu and Knead until soft.
- Divide the dough into equal pieces and shape each pieces into a ball.
- Boil some water and place the dumplings into the hot boiling water.When the dumplings start to surface, it means they are cooked.
- Take out the floating dumplings and immerse immediately in ice water.
- Mix all syrup ingridients and pour them into the pan and cook until syrup thickens. (Do not boil) . Constantly lift the pan and let the syrup