Nikumaki is one of my favorite dish in my bento (Lunch box) when I was kid. Nikumaki- this very thinly sliced pork (beef can also be used) is wrapped around a vegetable filling and sauteed.
I cooked this dish for Support Japan (Colorful Teddy bear) bento in last weekend.
Here is the recipe
- ½ lb hin sliced pork loin (thickness will be 1-2 mm) or you can user bacon
- Corn starch
- Vegetable oil
- 6-8 Green been blanced
- 1 Carrot blanced and julienned
- 6 Asparagas blanced
- 2 Tablespoon Japanese Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoonp Sake
- 2 Tablespoon Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- Combine all sauce ingredients and stir until the sugar is dissolved
- Take 2 piece of sliced pork, sprinkle salt and pepper only on one side of them.
- Place 2-3 pieces of Green bean 3-4 pieces of Julienne Carrot on the seasoned side of the slice pork. Or place 2 asparagas on the sliced pork.
- Roll the pork like spring roll. Make sure that the fillers are fully encapsulated with meat.
- Rolls all of the beef slice following step 1-3
- Cover each beef rolls with corn starch.
- Heat the pan, lay all niku maki and cook until the surface gets a little crispy.
- Add sauce and stir fry the beef rolls until all sauces dried up.