Siu Mai (Shu mai ) is very popular Chinese steamed dumplings served dim sum brunch.
Shumai is round wonton wrappers or gyoza wrappers but wrapping is time consuming for working mother. So I used steamed cabbage and rolled with it. Also I used Ground chicken instead of ground pork.
My husband and my son loved it them. You can use nappa or lettuce leave as well.
Here is the recipe
- 2-3 green head cabbage leaves
- ½ carrot cut into long strip
- 5-6 Green bean
- ½ onion
- 3 Tablespoon corn starch
- ½ lb ground chicken
- 2 Tablespoon brown syrup
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened and drain.
- Steam carrot and green bean
- Mix all ingredients A and set aside
- Mix all ingredients B and add A.
- Place 1 sheet of cabbage leave on the plastic, press a thin layer of meat on it.
- Arrange carrot and green bean on the seat.
- Roll from bottom to the top. Cut roll into 1 inch length.
- Steam in a bamboo steamer for about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.